1. When coding for an established patient for a particular level of service you must have a minimum of 2 of the 3 key elements whereas with a new patient you must have 3 of 3 key elements.
1. The 3 key components of Evaluation and Management coding are history, exam and medical decision making.
1. Emergency department evaluation and management codes are broken out into new and established patients.
1. Preventive Services codes are broken out by age but there is no distinction between new and established.
1. There are 4 “contributing components” of an Evaluation and Management codes are 1) counseling, 2) coordination of care, 3) nature of presenting problem, and 4) time.
1. Types of anesthesia used in surgical practice are 1) general, 2) local and 3) nerve blocks.
1. An add-on code is a procedure commonly carried out in addition to the primary procedure performed.
1. CPT modifiers are reported s two digit numeric codes added to the front of the 5 digit CPT code (e.g. 25-99213) .
1. “Disqualifying circumstances” are additional codes to anesthesia such as 99100, 99140, 99116 and 99135.
1. The CPT symbol “triangle” identifies a code description that has been revised.
1. Code the excision of a complicated pilonidal cyst.
1. Code electrolysis for 2 hours.
|[removed]||b.||17380 x 4|
|[removed]||c.||17380 – 22|
|[removed]||d.||17360 x 4|
1. Code the reduction mammoplasty bilateral.
1. Code a diagnostic laryngotomy.
1. Code a planned tracheostomy on a 47 year old.
1. Select an anesthesia CPT code for a 35 year old man undergoing hernia repair of the lower abdomen.
1. Select an anesthesia CPT code for bilateral corneal transplant.
1. Select the anesthesia CPT code for a patient undergoing a vulvectomy.
1. Select the anesthesia CPT code for a patient undergoing a cleft lip repair.
1. Betsy is an established patient of Dr. Gus and sees the doctor today for acne of the face. Dr. Gus does a problem focused history and exam and the medical decision making is straightforward. Code the office visit.
1. Dee is an established patient of Dr. Wong and is 3 months post transplant. She goes to Dr. Wong today with edema, increased blood pressure and fatigue. The doctor does a comprehensive history and exam and due to the nature of her problems, the medical decision making is high complexity. Code the office visit.
1. A patient is seen in the Emergency Department after falling off his scooter. The ER physician does an expanded problem focused history and exam. He takes an x-ray and determines that the boy only has a sprain so the medical decision making is of low complexity. Code the ER visit.
1. Michael goes to his family doctor that he’s been seeing for years for his yearly preventive physical. He’s 55 years of age. Code the preventive visit.
1. Due to injuries sustained in a car accident, Jane is seen by Dr. Ricker for 1hour and 15 minutes for critical care services. Code the critical care evaluation and management.
1. The CPT code for a total splenectomy is: